Drinking alcoholic beverages may go well with a nuptial toast. They may go well with a New Years Eve party; but they do not combine well at all with driving. Drinking and driving is always serious business. Chances are, if you get pulled over and arrested for a DUI or DWI, you may lose your driving privileges. Losing your license is a pretty bad wrap, especially if you depend on your driving to take you back and forth to work, school or other important business. However, you may apply for what is known as a hardship license, in such cases.

If you lose your license in Massachusetts for DUI, failure to carry insurance or whatever reason, you need to know that you may be able to qualify for aid. You can apply for hardship license in Massachusetts. If your driving license has been suspended or revoked, and your livelihood will be in serious jeopardy without it, here are some things you should know.

In October of 2005, Melanie’s Law was enacted in Massachusetts, imposing severe penalties on those convicted of DUI’s, both in Massachusetts and out of the state. The law required an ignition interlock device placed upon multiple DUI offenders’ vehicle as a condition of hardship licenses, or even in the reissuance of full driving privileges. When the offender’s license are returned, it is with what is called a “Z restriction.” This means that there is zero tolerance for this offender and drunk driving, and officers are aware that a person with this restriction must have the ignition interlock on their vehicle. Other penalties are also severe in Massachusetts, such as receiving seven surchargeable events, such as a drug conviction.

You can breathe a sigh of relief, as Massachusetts does allow for the hardship licenses. Such licenses are normally operable for a 12 hour period (also called the Cinderella License). Getting one of these license depends upon the nature of your offense, how often the offense had been repeated, and it can take up to several months to obtain one. You could even be issued one right after an RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) hearing. You will need a good hardship lawyer to help you get the best possible outcome. To get more information on hardship licenses in Massachusetts, visit the website, http://hardshiplicenselawyer.com/.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *